External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jumpmanpro97, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jumpmanpro97 macrumors member

I'm currently shopping for an external hard drive for my macbook pro. I was wondering what brands and/or models are reliable out there.

I'm looking at Seagate, Samsung and Toshiba brands. Which ones have you had luck with and which ones have been horrible?

2. simsaladimbamba

I have good luck with WD My Book Studio HDDs. They are 3.5" though.

3. jumpmanpro97 thread starter macrumors member

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I have a 1 TB Western Digital Elements.

It only has a 1yr warranty but I wanted the cheapest storage I could find with great reviews.

I got it for $59.99 shipped off of Amazon and it came the next day. It works great, it's quiet and it has the least awkward form factor in terms of a 3.5'' external in my opinion. It's just a rectangular horizontal drive.

It's USB 2.0 and AC powered, but that's okay. If I can pick up 1 TB of storage for $60 then that is reason enough for me to go with it, plus it has great reviews.

Most people will tell you to get the drive with the best warranty, that's certainly a good idea. I've seen some on Newegg with 7yr warranties. Just get a drive that is the appropriate size with a solid warranty.

5. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I like the OWC 2.5 kits because the enclosures are much better and also if my primary drive fails, my back-up is the correct size to replace it.