Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amateur12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Washington D.C.
List members:

I would greatly appreciate recommendations regarding external hard drives. I’m running Sonoma on an M1 iMac. What are reliable brands of EHD’s that will work with my computer? Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't think the M1 iMac has any particular quirks that would influence the reliability of an external hard drive.

However, which drive might be best could depend on what you're using it for. If you want to share that info you will likely get some good recommendations.

amateur12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Washington D.C.
I don't think the M1 iMac has any particular quirks that would influence the reliability of an external hard drive.

However, which drive might be best could depend on what you're using it for. If you want to share that info you will likely get some good recommendations.
Thank you for writing. I want a good EHD for Time Machine backup and for general storage. Thank you for any thoughts.

amateur12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Washington D.C.
For back up purposes, I recommend an external USB drive which has its own power supply rather than a small, bus powered USB drive.
Bigwaff, Thanks very much. The power supply sounds important. I wonder why more people don’t mention it. Will definitely buy an EHD with this feature.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Bigwaff, Thanks very much. The power supply sounds important. I wonder why more people don’t mention it. Will definitely buy an EHD with this feature.
Because I don't need it for my purposes. I just attach the portable drive to my Mac once in a while (via a cord from the Apple Studio Display) and that powers the drive.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
The power supply sounds important.
For reliability perhaps, especially if you're working with a laptop Mac.

I'm looking for HD for Time Machine also. Right now in my Amazon basket is the (bus powered) WD Elements Portable HD. I picked it because it's one of the newer WD designs and gets better reviews than many others.

I was thinking about one of those Sabrent HD docking stations and a couple of the more expensive HDs to put in it. But I decided to cheap-out as I am currently looking for a solution for the next 12 to 24 months.

If you want to really dive into the issues with HDs from the manufacturers, here's a few recent videos that make my head spin like a cheap platter:

That channel has a lot of other videos on hard drives.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a stack of different spinner HDs attached to my Mac Studio and they, as I would suspect, slow things down in macOS when accessing them for system tasks (Open/Save dialogs etc.). One of them is for Time Machine.

Is the OP going to experience any such lag having a single spinner HD used for TM?

If so, should we be recommending an SSD to the OP to avoid this?

That's not even taking into account the extra time required to do a full TM recovery from a spinner versus an SSD.

amateur12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Washington D.C.
List members: I thought I'd give some follow-up to my question about EHD's.
I spent some money and got a big external hard drive with its own external power source. It looks like the latter makes a difference. The new EHD reliably shows up on my desktop and works very quickly. Worth the investment, I think.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thank you for writing. I want a good EHD for Time Machine backup and for general storage. Thank you for any thoughts.
You can not (or really, should not) use the same drive for backup and storage. So I assume you want TWO external drives.

1) The one for storage shoiuld be a SSD. SOme are faster then others but for most users thay are all "fast enough".

2) for TM you can use a machanocal spinning disk drive or even two of them and tell TM is use both for better realiabilty. Any 4TB drive will be both cheap and fast enough. TM cn use a slow drive as it works in the background and you necver have to wait for it.

the TM drive needs to be at least two ties larger then all the data on your computer, bigger is better. TM will use up all the space you give it and then after then it will delete the oldest data to make room for newer data. That reason for 2X size is so TM can retain more older data.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I've been using Western Digital Elements drives for years. I set them up in dual mode for TM. TM takes care of writing to one and for the next backup, writing to the other. That increases the reliability. I've found the drives to be low cost and reliable and they have their own power supplies. They are simple to set up and they just work. Yes they seem slow, but I don't have to restore very often so I can live with it, even for the very occasional full system restore.
But there's a caveat of reliability. I've recently had a big problem with some sort of disruption on all my local drives. I didn't realize it right away and so it compounded itself, including TM storing damaged files on the damaged structures on the external drives. I strongly suspect some intermittent and brief power interruptions from our electric utility that occurred for a few days. Luckily, I also use software that backs up to a cloud site and I was able to use that to restore.
I use large drives, currently 10 TB. That way they serve as a long term archive as well as just backup. Every year or two, I replace the drives with newer ones and keep the old ones in case I want to go back a long way. But I haven't tested a very old TM backup drive to see if the current OS can use it.
I'm currently running on a Studio Mac M1 Max. I've found that when I/O is happening on the USB ports, Sonoma and Ventura both seem to slow I/O to the internal SSD. This never happened on my 2017 iMac 27" machine.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
You can not (or really, should not) use the same drive for backup and storage. So I assume you want TWO external drives.
To be precise; nothing wrong with using the same drive for TM and storage, as long as TM has its own volume. So format the drive as APSF and create a new volume for TM on it using Disk Utilities.

Hope it shows up in your language, and not norwegian.
I always struggle with this when linking to apple support.

Last edited:

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I’m running Sonoma on an M1 iMac

You have an AS M1 which comes with a TB port capable of 40 Gbps data transfer rate. A spinning magnetic disk will not keep up. Consider one of the TB3/4 or USB4 NVMe SSD enclosures. There are a lot of choices now that ASMedia sells TB controllers (previously only Intel made TB controllers) and the data transfer rates using a PCIe gen 3 or better NVMe SSD are typically close to 3000 MB/s or more. You can transfer in seconds what would take hours using a magnetic disk.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
You have an AS M1 which comes with a TB port capable of 40 Gbps data transfer rate. A spinning magnetic disk will not keep up. Consider one of the TB3/4 or USB4 NVMe SSD enclosures. There are a lot of choices now that ASMedia sells TB controllers (previously only Intel made TB controllers) and the data transfer rates using a PCIe gen 3 or better NVMe SSD are typically close to 3000 MB/s or more. You can transfer in seconds what would take hours using a magnetic disk.
Fantastic tranfer speeds can be had these days for sure, but the cost is such that it would make sense with workspace storage for big audio- video- files etc, not so much for backup and general storage that the OP mentions.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
To be precise; nothing wrong with using the same drive for TM and storage, as long as TM has its own volume. So format the drive as APSF and create a new volume for TM on it using Disk Utilities.

I disagree. If there's a disk failure, you most likely lose both your data and your backup. The single disk might be damaged in a fire, a flood, a tornado, a lightening strike, etc. Your kids might do something to it. Someone might spill beer on it. It might be stolen. You might have an electricity surge. Of course it's not a 100% certainty, but consider yourself lucky if the single disk survives with its data and I/O intact. It's better practice to physically separate your data from its backup. It's also good practice to have several backups in different locations such as on-site, off-site, and in the cloud.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I disagree. If there's a disk failure, you most likely lose both your data and your backup. The single disk might be damaged in a fire, a flood, a tornado, a lightening strike, etc. Your kids might do something to it. Someone might spill beer on it. It might be stolen. You might have an electricity surge. Of course it's not a 100% certainty, but consider yourself lucky if the single disk survives with its data and I/O intact. It's better practice to physically separate your data from its backup. It's also good practice to have several backups in different locations such as on-site, off-site, and in the cloud.

Sure. I didn't say you'd have to have critical data on the non-TM volume, and it's of course just silly to back up to a volume on the same physical drive, I just pointed out that TM doesn't necessarily have to occupy the whole drive. Personally I have an extra volume on one of my backup drives that I use for non-critical data, data transfer and such, and it's never backed up.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Sure. I didn't say you'd have to have critical data on the non-TM volume, and it's of course just silly to back up to a volume on the same physical drive, I just pointed out that TM doesn't necessarily have to occupy the whole drive. Personally I have an extra volume on one of my backup drives that I use for non-critical data, data transfer and such, and it's never backed up.
Good point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.