External hard drives....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yg17, Jul 14, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, I'm looking to buy an external hard drive. One of the 1 TB ones (2x500GB) that can do RAID1, because while I don't need 1 TB of space (or 500 right now, for that matter) I want some redundancy for all of my important stuff. A few things it needs to have:

1. Hardware RAID1. I've seen a few that do hardware RAID0, or let you do software RAID1. I don't want my RAID array to be at the mercy of the OS, and I plan on using this drive on multiple computers, so I just don't think software would work.

2. Firewire 800.

3. And then, of course, it's gotta be reliable.

I was looking at the WD MyBook drive, and while it meets 1 and 2, 3 seems to be iffy. The NewEgg and Amazon reviews aren't so hot. It seems like the most common problem is the fan sounds like a 747 taking off. And the firmware update to fix that has the tendency to brick the drive. Maxtor's Amazon reviews are even worse. And while the LaCie seems to be great, it only does RAID0. And Seagate doesn't really have anything, but they own Maxtor, and with the Maxtor reviews, I don't know if I'd want Seagate either. So, I'm not really sure where else to look. I've been thinking about just taking my chances with the MyBook, but I dunno. Any advice? Brands I missed? Thanks.

2. jvencius macrumors regular

POKE HERE

They also have kits featuring that enclosure IIRC, so you can use whatever bare drives you want.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks, I think I might go with that one. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, and OWC's customer service is awesome should I run into any trouble.

4. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'd go with the Maxtor OneTouchIII 1TB. I own that one and the WD MyBook 1TB. Everything you've read about WD is true, and their customer service sucks. My first MyBook died after firmware and 2nd one is working, but it is loud when the fan kicks up a notch. You will notice it unlike the Maxtor which is whisper quiet