Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mthing223

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
I am running Windows 7 in Macbook Air 11" (mid 2012 version)

When I try to plug in external harddisk (this is a USB 3.0 casing + a 500GB HDD from another laptop ~ which means this is not a external harddisk drive(one set) we buy outside)

My problem is: my other laptop can detect and run the external harddisk smoothly(transferring files)

but my Macbook can't detect the drive at all(at first, it can detect, but when I try to copy files into my external harddisk, it keeps hanging)

* I have tried to swap the 500GB HDD with another HDD ~ still the same)

Should I buy a standalone external harddrive(says: Buffalo), will it work on Macbook Air(running windows)?

mthing223

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Does it work in OS X on your MBA? Which file system does it use? Does it work on your other USB port?

I juz tested. Yes, it works in OS X.

So, it got to do with Windows.

But how can I get it fix?

Do I need to re-install Bootcamp drivers?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I juz tested. Yes, it works in OS X.

So, it got to do with Windows.

But how can I get it fix?

Do I need to re-install Bootcamp drivers?

- Please answer my two other questions (of most importance is the file system one).
If it's HFS+ (also called Mac OS X Extended), that could be your problem, as I don't believe Windows under Bootcamp can write to that file system.
Does reading from the drive work in Windows?

mthing223

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
- Please answer my two other questions (of most importance is the file system one).
If it's HFS+ (also called Mac OS X Extended), that could be your problem, as I don't believe Windows under Bootcamp can write to that file system.
Does reading from the drive work in Windows?

Yes, it is definitely FAT32, as I have tested it using my another laptop(running Windows 7) and it works.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yes, it is definitely FAT32, as I have tested it using my another laptop(running Windows 7) and it works.

- Then you have something wonky on your Bootcamp installation. I'm afraid that's not really my area of expertise, so someone else will need to chime in there.

mthing223

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
- Then you have something wonky on your Bootcamp installation. I'm afraid that's not really my area of expertise, so someone else will need to chime in there.

Thanks a lot for ur previous help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.