Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Toronto / Hamilton, ON (CAN)
Hey guys, I am looking for a harddrive enclosure which supports both Firewire800 and Usb2.0 (to use on mac and others).

Also I am looking to get the most out of a fast harddrive (maybe a SATA II harddrive and an enclosure that supports SATA II?).

I am also looking at 320gb plus - 400 gb for the external harddrive.

Any suggestions would be great!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
A combo enclosure that supports SATA drives will be expensive.
Keep in mind that the difference between ATA (100 or 133 MBs) and SATA 1 (150 MBs) or SATA2 (300 MBs) will be largely immaterial when they are trapped behind a Firewire 800 (78 MBs) or USB2 (48 MBs but really much slower) interface.
(All figures are approximate)

Macally has a nice IDE - FW800/USB combo enclosure.

mfInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Toronto / Hamilton, ON (CAN)
A combo enclosure that supports SATA drives will be expensive.
Keep in mind that the difference between ATA (100 or 133 MBs) and SATA 1 (150 MBs) or SATA2 (300 MBs) will be largely immaterial when they are trapped behind a Firewire 800 (78 MBs) or USB2 (48 MBs but really much slower) interface.
(All figures are approximate)

Macally has a nice IDE - FW800/USB combo enclosure.
I am checked some of the enclosures at Macally, can't seem to find any Firewire800.

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
I just got the Wiebetech ToughTech XT ($120).

They come in ATA and sATA models. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but Patrick Norton recommended the brand on DL.TV, so I took the bait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.