External Harddrive Freezes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by melliott, Jan 6, 2012.

1. melliott, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

melliott macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors!
    I'm new here so please forgive any newbness and feel free to politely let me know.

My issue is this:
    Lately one of my 1tb external harddrive appears to be mounted but when I open it in finder it is blank. When I try to unmount it gets stuck halfway through and I either have to unplug or force eject. I usually notice the drive is stuck when I go to play something in iTunes and iTunes freezes and then says it cannot find the specific track.
    If I try and run disk utility on it disk utility will freeze and say it cannot unmount the disk so it cannot fix the freeze.

The harddrive uses firewire 800.

Sorry if this is a common problem or a stupid question but I'm just trying to stop this from happening as Im worried that unplugging and replugging in the external hard drive as I do is damaging it.

Maybe the hard drive is busted?

Thanks!

2. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

I also have trouble with some disks that will not unmount correctly. They will make both Disk Utility and Finder to freeze. Only option is to try relaunch Finder, but that won't work either, Finder exits but will not relaunch. I have to turn off the computer manually.

I'm using a exFAT-formated external harddrive over Firewire 800.

3. melliott thread starter macrumors newbie