External harddrive is making me homicidal.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mattaria, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Mattaria macrumors newbie

New poster, vaugely followed the site for a while though. Apologies for the generic "i'm only here to ask for help" type post.

So basically, I own a 2011 mbp 15" and a 2007 macbook. I have several external harddrives that I use for backing up media and such. The problem being one of the harddrives seems to have completely stopped transferring data, it's under warranty and I can get it replaced no problem, and I have enough space on the others to house the content of said broken drive for the timebeing however this is where the drive not being able to transfer data becomes a bit of an issue.

this is the drive http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=260 when I connect it it takes hours(literally) to index and then spends hours preparing to transfer but doesn't actually start. Has ANYONE got any idea on how i can get it to work long enough to take 1.7 tb of data off of it without having to pay a data recovery company.

I've tried it on several macs and with different power supplys/usb cables(I own two of the same drive)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried verifying and repairing the HDD via Disk Utility yet?
    What format does the HDD use?

3. Mattaria thread starter macrumors newbie

It's formatted to osx journalled and i've tried verifying and repairing yeah, it gave some nonsense about being unable to unmount the disc.

4. Kashika macrumors regular

You could try moving small amounts of data. See if that works.

5. Sc00tr macrumors regular

sounds like a bad drive. Try reformatting and see if that helps.

6. Mattaria thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on warranty so i'll just get it replaced, i'm more concerned with salvaging the data on it rather than anything else.

I've tried doing it in small sections too, it just says calculating time remaining and freezes.

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

It could be the case, either the port on it or its actual motherboard. If you don't plan on returning it and the contents of the drive is what's important then you can take out the drive inside and place it in a different enclosure (you can find some for ten bucks) and see if it works.

8. Mattaria thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm going to have to just pay for the data recovery people. It seems to be the only way I won't void the warranty.

9. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Data recovery is usually pretty expensive and they also usually void the warranty because they open the enclosure. In difficult cases, they even open the actual hard drive.

10. simsaladimbamba

Before using a data recovery service, you could try the demos of Data Rescue or FileSalvage to see, if they can get somewhere.
    If not, it would be still cheaper to extract the actual HDD from the enclosure and put it into a working one and try data recovery software again.

11. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I recently had a spate of bad drives (not mine, although that doesn't matter) and what I found is that Disk Warrior recovered the data on the first drive but wouldn't recover anything on the second. Because Disk Warrior was successful on the first drive I didn't need to try my old Data Rescue 2 (which wouldn't have run under Lion anyway).

When Disk Warrior couldn't do anything with the second drive, I upgraded to Data Rescue 3 and it got 100% of the second drive.

The second drive wouldn't mount at all, which may be why Disk Warrior couldn't do anything. Data Rescue 3 didn't seem to care whether it was mounted or not.

I don't know why that was, but that's what happened. Take-away lesson seems to be that just because one recovery package fails, don't assume that another will also fail. They use different approaches to the problem.

I'm keeping them both in my arsenal.

Data Rescue 3 has a trial version, so you can see whether it's going to work for you before paying.

12. Mattaria thread starter macrumors newbie

13. gyorpb macrumors member

Not "or", and. Try both. And Drive Warrior. And any others you can find (haven't used one in a few years, not up to speed on the current state of Mac file recovery software).

They all have their own, unique approach, so when one fails, another might succeed, yet.

.tsooJ

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"this is the drive http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=260 when I connect it it takes hours(literally) to index and then spends hours preparing to transfer but doesn't actually start. Has ANYONE got any idea on how i can get it to work long enough to take 1.7 tb of data off of it without having to pay a data recovery company."

Yep.

Go to spotlight, and TURN INDEXING OFF for that drive. This can be done with the "privacy" option in spotlight. For my own usage, I have _ALL_ my drives set for "privacy". I don't want indexing at all, and I don't care for spotlight. Others' opinions may vary.

Suggestion for the future:
    Consider partitioning your drives to reduce the overall size. A partition for video, another for audio, another for general data, etc.

15. Mattaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Got data rescue, gonna install it onto my old macbook and leave it to clone the drive, even if it takes a lifetime. wish me luck!

16. Mattaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, apparently it's going to take 6000 hours.....bad times. Back to the drawing board.

17. cindyhy macrumors member

Have you tried moving your files individually? The most important ones first. I once sat on my external hard drive while it was running and damaged it. I managed to move some files out before it stopped working completely (hours indexing/preparing, refuse to mount/unmount etc). It's possible that only some sectors on the disk are bad and files in other sectors can still be transferred.