External Harddrive Not Recognized (MB Air)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chirp08, Sep 1, 2014.

1. chirp08 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I would truly appreciate any input on this because I have pursued quite a few avenues to no avail:
    I have a 2011 Macbook Air and a Seagate GoFlex 500GB external harddrive. The harddrive is not recognized by the computer anymore (it does not show up in disk utility). However, the harddrive powers up, the light is on, it spins -- apparently -- normally -- it just does not make its presence known on my Air.
    I have tried connecting it to a PC (I have not had a suitable mac) and it was not recognized either. I would suspect that the fault is with the harddrive but I am not sure.

Thank you in advance for any input.

2. abta1 macrumors 6502

If it's not recongnised on either then perhaps this is an indicator that something is wrong with the drive itself. Have you tried using a different USB cable?

3. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Uh oh. I hope you have a backup somewhere (probably not, since that's probably your backup drive). You'll want to bring it in to Geek Squad and get them to check it out. Perhaps they can at least recover your data.

But as already mentioned, trying a different USB Cable would be a good idea. In either case, if you can get the USB Cable trick to work, back up your files immediately.

Good luck!

4. chirp08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies and sympathy -- I had hoped it would somehow not be due to the drive.
    I should have mentioned, I did try other USB cables and also increased the power that the harddrive draws by using a Y-cable. I guess I will have to take it somewhere to get the -- indeed important -- data off it.