external harddrive not recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neash, Jan 25, 2013.

1. neash macrumors newbie

I bought 3 tb segate internal harddrive and then bought startech enclosure for it. when i plug the hard drive into my macbook pro(2009) running 10.8.2 and it does not recognize it. Then i booted my laptop with windows 7 and it recognizes the harddrive, i installed macdrive on windows and partitioned it as HFS+ but it still doesn't recognize it. Then i plugged in my friends 320gb wd external harddrive wich is partitioned as FAT32 and it works on his MBP 2009, but it wont recognize on my when i am running 10.8.2. It would work when i run windows 7 but not when i run 10.8.2.
    I dont see what the problem is. Also when i plug in regular jump drive it easily recognizes it, can some one please help me out.

2. neash thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

When you say that the drive isn't recognized, do you mean that it isn't showing up under Disk Utility, or that it isn't appearing on the desktop?

If it's showing up under Disk Utility, partition it there.

If it isn't showing up under Disk Utility, try connecting it to a different USB port and then see if it shows up.

Is this one of enclosures that has two USB connectors? If so, are you making sure to plug in the first USB connector in the chain? The second connector is purely for getting additional power from another USB port.

4. neash thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not showing under the disk utility. And it only has one usb connector, the enclosure also has external power supply. I also tried connecting it to other usb port but still no luck, I also completely reinstalled my 10.8 on my mac but still no luck.