External Harddrive Not Recognized?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by icedd, Nov 16, 2009.

1. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

Question Lets say I use my external harddrive for Time Machine on OSX. I also happened to put other files on there too. But once I run bootcamp, it seems that Windows cannot recognize harddrive. Is that normal? And is there a way for me to reach the files in Windows?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

MacOS currently uses a file formaté that Windowsé is incapableé of detecting/using. Perhaps download a plugin that allows Windows to use the file formaté¿

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's not a file format, it's a drive format. The external hard drive is formatted to Mac OS X Extended, which Windows can't read natively. You will have to use MacDrive or the free HFSExplorer to access the data.

É

4. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

Thanks. My bootcomp can't do anything like ? , " :

5. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You might want to check your Windows keyboard layout settings. I know the Canada (French) layout has É in place of the question mark, with shift+6 used for ?.

7. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

You, my friend are a genius. I will have to try it when I get home. But yes, that letter is my question mark as I do live in Canada.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm Canadian too, and I have on occasion been forced to use computers in Quebec. They annoy the hell out of me. So many annoying typos. It could be worse, though. They use AZERTY in France, which is close to the standard QWERTY layout but with a few significant differences. I have a friend who spent a few months there, and it took some getting used to reading past her typos in our IM conversations. :D

I'm a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to keyboard layouts anyway. ;)

9. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

Oh, wow must be hard adjusting.

I tried both and HFSExplorer says I do not have a Java Virtual Machine.
    When I tried using a demo version of MacDrives, it still does not show it when I click View Mac disks in My Computer.

:confused:

edit: Actually nvm, I had to restart and it showed. Thanks BlueRevolution!!!!!!!