External harddrive not showing up, Fantom Drives G-Force Triple Interface 2 GB.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jesse Smith, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Jesse Smith macrumors member

I got a Fantom Drives G-Force Triple Interface 2 GB that's worked fine for about two years now. Now it's not showing up on the finder so it can't be found when doing back-up. Does this mean it's dead? Any way to get it to be registered by the iMac? (Yes, it's on, and plugged in!) This is the second time it's stopped showing up.

2. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

That can happen. If the drive is not physically shot, Diskwarrior repairs the crap that gets corrupted on HD's that disk utility is useless to do.
    When things like that happen disks will refuse to mount, etc.

Its up to you to decide if its worth the 100 bucks for diskwarrior to get your data or get an new drive altogether for about the same price or to find out if your drives completely dead

3. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Does it fail on the other interfaces? How are you connecting it?

For reasons I don't understand, I've had 2 FW 400 drives on 2 different Macs where they wouldn't show up and then I'd just switch the cable to the other FW 400 port on the drive and then it would work (after it worked, switching back would also work).

4. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That was it. I think, and hope, it just hates the cable. I changed cables and bam! It quickly showed up. Yet, the cable still works fine, as I changed my 1 TB HD to using it and it quickly showed up on Finder! But just in case, I got Disk Utility looking at it, since this is my Time Machine Back-up for both the iMac and 1 TB HD.