External Harddrive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BriC, Apr 18, 2007.

1. BriC macrumors newbie

Hi please help. I unplugged my harddrive without properly ejecting it, and now it wont show on my desktop. Its there in DiskUtility but I cant do anything to it. (only one icon shows up instead of the second one below it ).
    I have attached a screen grab of disk utility.
    Can anyone offer any advice. Cheers

Attached Files:

• hd.jpg
      hd.jpg
      File size:
      116.7 KB
      Views:
  2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Don't fret, stay calm. All your data is still there, as long as you haven't erased it or written new data to it. I'd suggest DiskWarrior... it's worked wonders for me in that exact situation. Unfortunately, you've gotta buy it... but at least you'll be ready for next time.

3. landis macrumors regular

try restaring your computer with the hard drive plugged in.

this has worked for me a couple of times when the hard drive did not appear on the desktop

4. BriC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your quick responce. Im a technophobe here so what does Disk Warrior do and what do I do when I get it???

Also have tried restarting computer but to no avail!.

Thanks again, all your help is very much appreciated.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Here's some info on DiskWarrior. They've even got it available to download (instead of waiting for the physical CD). For what it does and how many times it's saved me, I'd say it's well worth the $$.

Basically, your hard drive functions like a library. At the front desk is a directory. When you want to open up that word document or downloaded movie, you're asking the librarian to find it for you. She looks in her index, sees it's way in the back, and retrieves it. 99% Of hard drive malfunctions occur when the directory is damaged- thus the librarian can't find anything, even though it's all still there on the shelves.

What DiskWarrior does for you is looks through all your shelves and notes where everything is. It then takes this information to build a new directory. Librarian's happy, you're happy... I'm happy.

This is why you should never freak out and erase/re-write/etc a drive in that condition. Doing so would replace the information on the shelves and confuse DiskWarrior as it looks through them.

6. BriC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your help. Ill get DiskWarrior, and fingers crossed, this computer dunce will be able to get it working

Cheers BriC