external harddrive question - time to load?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wakkaday, Oct 18, 2015.

1. wakkaday macrumors member

Oct 3, 2014
    i have recently reformated my 2tb external harddrive - bus powered, so its 2 x 1tb in ex-fat format

the 1tb was recently my macbook timemachine backup, but i though that was slowing it down, but it isnt the case.

so i still have the partition but now its as ex-fat which i have named file 1 and file 2, however the 'file 2' loads instantly (nothing in there) but the 'file 1' takes a while or doesnt load at all...

is there a way of fixing this? to be honest this drive is always going to be used on a mac, as i have my itunes stuff stored on there and movies etc, so i wouldn't really need to use on windows... is there a way i can make it detect and read the drive faster
    they are USB 3.0 DRIVES which i have tried connecting directly to the mac and also a hub, but its the same thing... its taking ages to load and its annoying as it has my itunes library on it

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm confused. Do you have 2 separate drives (2 enclosures), or a single drive with 2 partitions? Or a single enclosure with two drives, one partition on each?
  3. wakkaday thread starter macrumors member

Oct 3, 2014
    Single drive with 2 partitions, the partition that is empty loads right away the other partition takes a while or doesn't at all that has my iTunes content and other files. They are split 1tb each way