Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darbsrewop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
I have a Lacie Firewire that is connected to my iMac. I'm used to windows in the fact that you can change the My Documents folder to point to a different drive letter. I want to do a similar thing with my mac. I want to redirect the location of the shortcuts for Documents, Movies, Music, and Pictures. How do I go about doing this? What do most people do?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
How do you do this in Windows? I never figured it out myself.

The best solution (IMO) is to move the contents of the folders to a clone folder on the new drive and make shortcuts to the new folders within the original ones. Front Row (if you have an Intel) even follows the shortcuts for movies so you can watch videos on the new disk.

iTunes and iPhoto, if you use them, will require you to move the applications' libraries. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748 for iTunes. iPhoto is more difficult.

You should consider backing up before messing around with these sorts of things because you may wish to reutrn things to how they were, should something go wrong.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
For iTunes and iPhoto, move the library to where you want it, then open the respective apps whilst holding OPTION to be given the choice of creating a new library or opening one. Select the library at it's new location and you should be good to go.

I'd personally drag the entire Documents folder to a new location (on the external drive or whatever) and then drag the folder into the sidebar. Voila, you have your shortcut.

Fleetwood Mac, I believe you can change the location of the My Documents folder on Windows by right-clicking it and selecting Properties or something. From there it's pretty straightforward to change the shortcut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.