Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Ok so I've been reading up on SATA and their importance as to what type of HD and enclosure to use. So I am looking at SATA interfaced harddrive and to make sure that the HD is compatible with the harddrive enclosure, does the enclosure have to state that it is SATA interfaced as well? I'm not seeing the SATA interfaced on the harddrive enclosure in the products that I am viewing so any help is appreciated.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Yeah, you need to have a External SATA port available to use a SATA external enclosure. I've yet to see a SATA -> USB/Firewire enclosure.

For now, everyone I know has just been buying ATA100 drives (Parallel ATA) and throwing them in an enclosure.

Or buy them pre-built. You can save a little money this way, but the drive warranty will generally be 1 year instead of 3 or 5.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
jsupetran said:
wow, sata drives are kinda expensive. Are they worth it?
depends what yer after - currently 500GB drives are cheaper (and more widely available) here as SATA than ATA
personally i'm hoping the ministack/m9 will do a SATA version soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.