External HardDrive recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tchaap, Dec 30, 2007.

1. tchaap macrumors member

Looking for an external hard drive for my MBP. Probably about 160 to 250gb.

What are some that you recommend. I would like to use one that is USB only(or firewire only) and not have to plug it in to a wall socket.

Will the MBP power an external HD via usb?
    Thanks,

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to be looking at a 2.5" USB or FireWire drive then.

My WD Passport just needs one USB cable. I'm using it for my portable Time Machine drive when on the road.

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I really like the Western Digital MyBook's. I have a MyBook 500GB Essentials Edition and have been extremely happy with it. Although it does have external power source and is not bus-powered.

4. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

So your WD is USB powered and the MBP USB port will power it?

Cool, I like those WD passports, actually have a lime green on on my PC desktop.

I was unsure if the MBP USB would power an exernal.

Thanks,

5. jneckert macrumors member

I use Lacie Mobile Hard Drive 160GB. It's FW400 and USB bus powered. Either way I don't need to use an external power source.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It works just fine on my laptop.

What would make a MacBook port different from another USB 2.0 one? :confused:

7. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

I was unsure. I plugged my WD passport in to my old PowerBook G4, before I got my MBP and the PowerBook would not recognize the drive. I didn't know if it was the fact that the WD passport had been orignally used on a PC or if it did not have enough USB power.

8. sbornia macrumors member

I'm a big fan of OWC, and recently got the FW800 80GB version of the portable "Mercury On the Go" drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

My old G4 PB is able to power it just fine from FW800 alone, no AC adapter needed. Lots of sizes and ports to choose from for your needs...

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Im a big fun of G-drives by Gtech. hey have both 160 and 250 with USB, Firewire 400 and 800. They are a little more expensive than others but I think its worth it.

10. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I'd like to second this opinion. I received a 500gb FW400 and 500gb FW800 models of WD MyBooks recently and am extremely happy with them both, even though they are not bus powered. As far as portables, I really like the sleekness and size of the WD Passports.

11. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

LaCie d2 "Rugged" 160GB is my portable external of choice. It is bus-powered, requiring no power cord, and it has a FireWire 800 interface in addition to the USB 2.0 and FW400.

For deskbound externals, I agree that the MyBooks are much better than I had expected. I have a 320GB Essentials that has never disappointed.