Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meyer0095

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Hey,
I just got a 1TB external hard drive for my mac. I mainly got it because I was running out of space on my computer. So my question is can I use it for Time Machine and use it to store media, and other files? If I click the Time Machine Backups it says I have 800 or gigs of space, so I was wondering if I could drag stuff into that and run it right off there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
No you would need to use disk utility to partition in it (spilt it up). It makes it two (or more) separate disks, you would use one for Time Machine and one for media, etc.

It also clears the hard drive.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Personally, I would partition the drive, giving one partition to Time Machine and use the other partition for media/file storage

Simple to do from Disk Utility

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
It is possible to use the hard drive with just one partition on it but it is a lot better to partition the drive and keep them both seperate.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
There is no problem whatsoever with storing files on the partition Time Machine uses. The only issue is, of course, that as you use up more of the space for other files the amount of data that Time Machine can backup decreases.

I partitioned my 1.5TB external into two partitions: a 1.3TB partition for Time Machine and other files (media, etc) and another 250GB partition for a mirror image backup of my Macintosh HD using SuperDuper.

I only did the partitioning because the two concurrent backups can't coexist. Time Machine keeps everything in the Backups.backupd directory leaving you free to use the rest of the partition as you wish for file storage, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.