External hardrive and itunes Library and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andygabriel, Feb 3, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have a macbook and i would like to know if i can use and external hard-drive to keep backup(Time Machine) and keep my itunes and iphoto library on the same HD.

The main reason is because my White macbook Hard-drive is not enough to hold all my multimedia. So i was thinking of buying a 500GB HD and use time machine to back but also keep my itunes library and iphoto library on the same hard-disk.

2. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

You can. You just have to partition the external drive into at least two, one for Time Machine and one for your music/photos. Keep in mind that you won't have a backup of your music/photos doing it this way.

3. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

So what can i do to get Time machine to back up my music and photos.
    Since my internal hard drive can't handle all my data.

Is there a way to get Time Machine to back up the partition with my music and photos?

Thx

4. damov2 macrumors regular

I don't think it's possible, I would of thought that you would need a second drive then you could clone you media partition to that drive.

5. Wildgift macrumors 6502

Yes, you can--i have done it. Time machine specifically lets you designate what drive you want to back up. simply designate the drive that you have partitioned for your itunes,

it totally works--it takes awhile, but once done, you can verify for yourself that the itunes partition ha been backed up.

6. spiketrain macrumors newbie

but....

This looks like a great solution - but, isn't the master data and the backup both then on the same drive?

7. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Yes this would be the case. So if the drive were to physically fail, then all of the data and backups would be lost and you would be SOL. Obviously this is not an ideal backup solution.