Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caithsith

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
If i buy a external Hardrive for all my media library i have and scan it for itunes. If i unpluged it and replug it will still reconize dans library ?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Not sure what you mean.

If you have your library on external, you can disconnect it when you want, unless you have iTunes actually open with that library. Before you launch iTunes make sure you have the drive mounted first.

You can use multiple libraries, for ex. main lib on external and smaller lib on internal hd. You can choose which one you want to load by pressing Option(alt) key after opening iTunes.

Caithsith

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Not sure what you mean.

If you have your library on external, you can disconnect it when you want, unless you have iTunes actually open with that library. Before you launch iTunes make sure you have the drive mounted first.

You can use multiple libraries, for ex. main lib on external and smaller lib on internal hd. You can choose which one you want to load by pressing Option(alt) key after opening iTunes.

Yes that what I wanted to know.
Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If i buy a external Hardrive for all my media library i have and scan it for itunes. If i unpluged it and replug it will still reconize dans library ?
Any iTunes media stored on an external drive will not be available if you unplug the drive. The songs will still appear in your iTunes database, but will have exclamation marks (!) next to the songs, indicating they are missing. To make them available, quit iTunes, reconnect the drive, then launch iTunes with the drive mounted. The exclamation marks will be gone and your music will be accessible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.