External Hardrive Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danhaycocks, Apr 14, 2009.

1. danhaycocks macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Next year i will be starting collage and all are based on computer, What i don't want though is if i have a hard drive failure all my coursework will be lost. So anyway what i want is a recommendation for a 500GB hard drive for time machine backup. Budget wise i can stretch to how ever much as long as its not way over what most 500GB drives are.

Thanks for your time
    Dan

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

What connection type are you looking for? USB? Firewire 400? 800? eSATA?

And what form factor? 2.5" or 3.5"?

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Seriously? -sigh-

college |ˈkälij|
    noun
    1 an educational institution or establishment, in particular
    • one providing higher education or specialized professional or vocational training : my brother wanted to go to college | I'm at college studying graphic design.
    • (within a university) a school offering a general liberal arts curriculum leading only to a bachelor's degree.
    • (in Britain) any of a number of independent institutions within certain universities, each having its own teaching staff, students, and buildings.
    • Brit. a private secondary school : [in names ] Eton College.
    • the teaching staff and students of a college considered collectively : the college was shocked by his death.
    • the buildings and campus of a college.
    2 an organized group of professional people with particular aims, duties, and privileges : [in names ] the electoral college.
    ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French, from Latin collegium ‘partnership, association,’ from collega ‘partner in office,’ from col- ‘together with’ + legare ‘depute.’

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

head on over to mroogle.com and search for "500 gb hard drive." You'll get many results.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Instead of buying a dedicated external, you could buy an internal and a USB dock. The dock accepts 3.5" and 2.5" SATA drives. This would make it easier to upgrade, should you need more space.
    If you can afford it, you should buy an additional 500GB drive. This drive would be placed in a different location that's not your dorm--maybe a friend's house or your car. In addition, it would backup your external should it fail.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Actually, the poster was asking about collage, which is very different from college. However, it is possible the poster was confused about the original poster's misspelling. <shrugs>
    However, just in case the question was what a collage was:
    A collage (From the French: coller, to glue) is a work of formal art, primarily in the visual arts, made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you are only using the drive for backups, you probably don't need anything too fancy aside from your preferred interface if it varies from USB. Looking at newegg, there are many good deals. I don't think that you will get much extra if you are only using USB, as there's really nothing more that a hard drive can do for you aside from be, well, a hard drive. While you can find some people that are very loyal to a specific brand of hardware, I would imagine that any brand [at any price] should serve you fine. And if it doesn't, most of them come with lengthy warranties anyway.

10. danhaycocks thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be a 3.5" connection wise USB is fine for me but firewire would be a bonus.

Thanks for the advice so far but personally i would like to stick to a normal external hard drive and not a dock. Im am 90% sure that 500gb will be big enough for me.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Out of curiosity, which speed of firewire would you want? There can be significant cost difference in drive enclosures with FW400, 800, or both.

12. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

13. danhaycocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Erm well i have a mac mini so i think the max that can do is FW400 so FW400 would be great.

14. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

16. danhaycocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm it is very nice but this is basically going to be shut away behind a desk so design wont matter to me really.