External hardrive problem with 15' MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smarterchild, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Smarterchild macrumors member

Hello, My problem seems to be having a PC and MAC exxternal hardrive that i have used in the transition from PC to Mac. I bought a 2Tb mybook essential to transfer all of my photographs to my new mac. I connected it to my pc to get the pictures, now that i have my mac i have tried to access the files. I can open and view them. But im unable to write anything on the hardrive. Even files ive opened up that were on the hardrive that i tried to save again.

Im unable to drag and drop anything on the drive. If theres any tips or tricks to format or solve this please help!

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You've formatted the drive in NTFS (Windows Format). You need a 3rd party application to edit these in Mac OS X.

I'd just copy the folders off your external hard drive, then reformat the drive in FAT32 so it can be used on both platforms, then put the files back on it.

3. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Thats what i am doing at the moment. I love how it was only going to take 2 hours for my mac to transfer all the files on to it. (300gb) or 60000 5mb pictures on to it when it took me 16hours for me to do it on my old PC.

How would i reformat my drive after i completed the transfer? Erase the whole drive and then transfer over?

4. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

5. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Are you only going to be using it on macs? if so, use disk utility to format it...if its only going to be used for storage, format it as mac os x extended

6. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Its going to be for all mac. How would i format it to macs? Its fully backed on my computer ( all the files)

7. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

8. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

check the last part of my first comment.

9. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

how do i format it?

Also when i erased my drive. I went to backup my drive and it didnt process any of the 300gb worth of pictures. It read them as "other"files (in my WD smart Ware software from my external harddrive.

I just tested the drive out when it was cleaned up, and i was able to put files ON it now and im transfering the pictures manually by dragging and dropping. Which is working.

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Open spotlight (the magnifying glass in top right corner) type in 'disk utility' without ''. Press enter.

Select your external HDD from the list, and click the 'Erase' tab.

It will say Format: Select 'Mac OS X Journaled'.

Click erase.

Tada :)

11. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Success :). Saw that it was formated for Mac. whoop! now gotta buy CS5 and LR3 :(.. But its not bad with college discounts

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You save about 80% here in the UK on CS5 if you're a student. Fantastic =]

13. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Same here in the U.S :D. tho if i do it online which what i was about to do requires a SSN and im nervous about giving it away without talking to the school about it.