External Hardrive stopped working...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbelltx, Jan 8, 2011.

1. jbelltx macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2011
    I have a WD 2 TB My Book Home Edition external hard drive, I have had it for about a year... it worked fine I had a little over 1 TB of data on the hard drive and after coming home from vacation when I reconnected my hard drive it would not mount. The message was "Hard disk not recognized by this computer" so I properly disconnected the hard drive and replugged it in and reconnected to iMac and still same thing. I have tried everything in the book it feels like and nothing is working, and of course I did not have all the info backup with time machine (I REGRET and beat myself up for not) so I need to recover the data and I am not sure what to do. I did run Data Rescue 3 and it said that there was nothing on the hard drive to recover. Of course I am panicking and I have been told to send it off for Data recovery but that is going to cost up to 2,000 and I just want to make sure that this is my last resort or is it hopeless and should I just seek counseling for all the lost pictures of my kiddos...LOL I did try opening the case and inserting hard drive directly in a hard drive docking station.... sorry this is so long I just would like any advice or help from all the MAC GURUS PLEASE....
  2. agentphish macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Data recovery will really be the only guarantee. You can discuss the most important data with a company like drive savers and you may be able to save some $ by only recovering that stuff.

If its not mounting, it's not mounting...unfortunately.
  3. jbelltx thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2011
    Thanks that is kinda what I thought... THANKS for the quick response.