External Hardrive, Time Machine, Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnl85, Nov 26, 2007.

1. johnl85 macrumors newbie

I partitioned my external hardrive to use for time machine - most of the space I want to use for time machine, and the rest to use for whatever. However, I don't think I formatted the hardrive correctly. When I plug the hardrive into a pc, it won't recognize it.

Is there a way to do it where I can use time machine on one partition and then use the other partition as a storage device that can be used with both a pc and a mac? Your help is appreciated!

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Did you make the partition for Windows FAT or HFS? Windows cant read HFS without a program called Macdrive. For native windows and mac read/write support the partition must be as FAT

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The drive is formatted HFS which is what you need for Time Machine. This format is unreadable on a Windows PC without third party software.

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Time machine partition table is either GUID (GPT) or APM. Neither is accessible on 32 bit MSwindows, so Time Machine drives live only in the Mac world with sharing with MSwin world not possible (at least for now). See
    http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macpcdiskdd06sv8.png
    for some more background and some exceptions.