External Hare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chan2004, Apr 11, 2008.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

2. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

thread topic accidently typed like that
    so, ignore the thread topic and pay attention to the thread content:D

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Size doesn't exactly equate to decrease in speed. You want to check a few things:

Rotational speed: higher is usually bettter, though some newer drives are capable of besting their higher speed (7200) cousins at a meager 5400 RPM. Check reviews on Newegg and elsewhere.

Platters: Fewer usually means faster. This is because of the higher density of data on each platter. Again, you can find this by searching newegg, or by looking it up on manufacturer sites, elsewhere, etc.

Interface: Firewire 800 / eSata seems to be the way to go if you're looking for speed / available bandwidth, with USB being slower than those two.

What are you considering doing with the drive? Is it just for storage / backup / etc? If so, USB would be fine - most drives will all be comparable to eachother, I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on their speed.

The thing I'd look at are reviews, buy drives that get good reviews, and lots of them - not ones with 3 5 star reviews, that's a severely limited pool of experience.

4. remmy macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the WD elements but I've got a old mybook and I don't quite like it. It's noisy and the software is not great.

5. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular