External HD, advice on formatting and partitioning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by -tWv-, Jul 6, 2009.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I just bought a Western Digital My Book 1TB External HD. This drive has around 930gb of usable space and currently formatted as FAT. I plan to use this with time machine and also to be able to store movies and be able to use them cross platform, between windows and osx. I have ntfs 3-g and I was planning on formatted the larger partition to be used with time machine and the smaller one as NTFS to be used cross platform.

My question is: Is my plan stated above the best way to do this? And also, what format does the larger partition need to be to be used with time machine? I just don't want to screw up my hard drive right after I got it. Any advice on how to partition this and what formats needed to be used would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Format the Time Machine as HFS+ which is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility

Format the Cross Platform any way you want really

FAT32 is read/write by both, but files are limited to 4 GB
    NTFS - use NTFS-3G to access from the Mac
    HFS+ - use MacDrive to access from Windows

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok i just tried to format it as mac osx extended (journaled) and it said that there was a disk file system error. And so now i formatted it back to FAT. That worked fine. After it says there was an error the disk became unusable.

Now i tried selecting it as a time machine backup and reformatting it with time machine and that worked fine. So something must have happened with disk utility, but I don't know what.

4. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok I have it partitioned into two partitions, what would be the best way to make it ntfs? Should I format it with Disk Utility as FAT and then plug it into a windows machine and format it as ntfs? Or can I do it with disk utility if i have ntfs-3g installed?