External HD advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongohumor, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mongohumor macrumors newbie

Now have my new rMBP and I'm looking for a reliable usb 3.0 external HD, 1 or 2TB. Totally fed up with Seagate and WD as both brands evolved into clicking curiosities now sitting on my desk. I understand they're now made in China.

I think Japan still has some credibility so maybe Buffalo...?

Anyway, I would appreciate some experience and advice.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

@GGJstudios is correct. The OWC external enclosures are the only ones that I use. They may cost a bit more than the competition but they are well built, sturdy, and stylish. After purchase if you encounter a problem, though highly unlikely, their customer service and return policies are top notch. I use the OWC On-The-Go-Pro for my TM backups and CCC cloning of my hard drives. Have not experienced any issues to date.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any problems with seagate goflex or wd passport drives. I do have a problem with an 5 year old oxford chipped owc 2.5" enclosure like the one posted above which randomly disconnects.

Finding suitable external enclosures doesn't seem to be the problem that it was say 6-10 years ago, when only oxford chipped enclosures could be trusted.

5. RonShort macrumors member

I bought the WD Passport 2tb USB 3.0 and couldn't be happier.... about 100mbs fast and small...

6. mongohumor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

----------

Thanks mate!

----------

Thanks mate!

----------

Thanks!

7. MacBird macrumors 6502

I also got the new USB 3.0 2TB WD My Passport and it works well.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You know your computer was made in China as well, right?

9. mongohumor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. But it's not so much as China as the manufacturing location as the contracting firms quality assurance and overall design. Apple has a tight control on product. But for companies not wishing to invest in engineering and quality, you get failures. Then it becomes an economics issue. How much failure affects the bottom line before spending more on quality?

The culture in China manufacturing is absolute. What you ask for is what you get: no more, no less. There doesn't appear to be pre-emptive design triggers that would flag design issues. Ask for substandard, you get substandard.

Thanks for bringing that up. I should have clarified.