External HD Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyycavo24, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

I am in the process of finishing up a very lengthy digital video project and my MBP HD is completely filled up.....I need an external hard drive because everything is real slow now...but im terrified of losing all my data if the drive fails...

Does this happen a lot? Any advice on how to take extra caution?

I am going to be buying this drive most likely:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822136181

Any help or reassurance would be great...thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search the forums, in many cases, you'll find the answers you're looking for, especially on a topic such as this, which has already been discussed in dozens of threads.

3. jshelton macrumors 6502a

nyycavo24, I hope this answered your HD questions. ggjstudios helped me out quite a bit earlier on some insurance advice.

What a helpful place. I've been a member for a week and the advice I have received is already worth my Macbook's weight in gold. Swell...

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I use the Home Edition version of that drive, but in the 500gb size. If you do not need Firewire 800, go for that, it is about $30-40 cheaper. I don't know what some people are talking about when they say that it has problems; I have had mine for 9 months and nothing has happened .knocks on wood.

5. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I'll be glad to answer as opposed to others. In my opinion, hard drives are like tires on cars, at some point you're going to have to replace them. The forums are full of personal choices on which ones are the best, which ones are the worst. If you read them all, basically you'll find that there is someone who has had problems with each and every EHD available. I have a WD 500GB hooked up to time machine that I turn on about once a week. I'll play the odds that both my internal and external will NOT fail at the same time. However, what you are saying is that you're internal is full so you need a spill over. My suggestion if you are active in using the external is to buy 2 of which ever brand has the best sale and use one of them as only a back up. You should be able to buy 2 500GB for $100 each right now or wait till Thanksgiving in get them for $60-$70 each.

6. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answering the question for me man, I appreciate it...

This is what I just did...I bought the 320 GB WD Mybook with Firewire (need it for my video editing project).

For a backup, I may just upload these files to one of those hosted servers online....you think that will suffice? You know of any sites that let you upload like 50GB of data per account?

I just don't have the money right now for two.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

No problem with that drive, but for the price you could buy your own enclosure (Something like this) and buy your own drive to put in it and get much more room. $130 for a 320GB drive seems kinda pricey when I can buy a 640GB drive for $85 and an enclosure for around $60.
    Unless of course you're scared of screwdrivers. :D
    My $.02

8. Toddmann macrumors newbie

Seriously. ggjstudios, do you just troll these forums to copy and past the same response? I've counted at least 5 in the past two days from you. Most of the ones who are asking these questions are new and are looking for sincere advice and you just shoot them down. You remind me of those teachers I had in high school and college when asked a question would simply tell you "it's in the book" Lay off the new ones and try to help. If you have enough time to put 15 posts on these boards a day then help the new ones. Stop with the superior attitude and help. Just my 2 cents.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The thing is......these threads deserve a cut and paste response. In a way, ggjstudios answered the question better than everyone else here, because he gave him the most viewpoints, and the most opinions. ;)

The answer required a simple search. He's not asking for much, and it's not unreasonable.

10. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Good point. A hard drive can fail at any time.

I would go a bit further suggesting buying 3 external drives if you can. One to backup your internal drive, and your external (the one acting as extra storage). Use the last available drive to backup your backup.

I know I have an OCD, but I have also seen a lot of backups failed just when you need to restore files.

Online backup services are nice in the sense that they offer an off-site backup. You should consider having a drive off-site if the data is critical. However, online backup services has one drawback. Do you trust the site? What will happen to your data (if it is confidential) if the site goes out of business?

11. The Hammer macrumors regular

If your using the external drive for Time Machine is Firewire 400,800 really necessary for someone who isn't a professional something or other as USB 2.0 only drives seem to be cheaper?

12. Mr$Whale macrumors member

Firewire tends to be a more steady stream of data. I know FW400 is slightly slower in transferring data than USB 2.0, but I don't know about FW 800. I use Firewire 400 because of it's consistency, and it also allows me to use my USB ports for other things.

As for external hard drives: I'm currently rocking the Iomega Ultra Max hardrive and have no issues with it. I had an older simple tech drive just give up and die the one day, though.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I find it ironic that your first and only post in these forums is NOT to offer any help or answers to anyone, but to criticize someone who IS offering help! Also, if you had more experience with the forum, you'd know that there are only so many ways you can answer the same question, so a "cut and paste" is sometimes the best way to give a consistent, accurate response. And for your information, I did NOT cut and paste my response to the poster. I first did a search for the topic the poster asked about, then copied the link to the search results, then composed, from scratch, my post, pasting the URLs to the search results and the link to the Google search engine. In other words, I take the time to make sure there are posts that relate to the OP's question.

You fail to understand that my intent is not to scold or discourage anyone from posting questions. Many who are new to the forums aren't aware that searching the forums can many times bring an answer to their question faster, since common subjects have been discussed at length and common questions have already been answered. Also, some may not be aware that using a Google search of the forums will many times reveal answers that are missed by the standard MR search. My purpose is to help posters find existing answers to their current questions, and also show them tools to find answers to future questions more effectively.

It has nothing to do with a "superior attitude" or "shooting anyone down". If you take the time to look at my posts, you'll see that I always include a link to specific threads that deal with the question being asked. In other words, I do the search first that the OP could do, and provide them a link to the results. So I'm not just answering their question with one opinion, I'm pointing them to dozens or hundreds of answers already offered in the forums.

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime."

Attached Files: