External HD (AirPort Extreme) Not showing in finder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EstrlM3, Aug 29, 2010.

1. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

I have an external HD that i use plugged into my laptop and it works fine however i recently tried to plug it into my airport extreme instead and it no longer shows in finder.

It is plugged into airport extreme and i have no idea how to access it. Airport utility shows that it is there. But i do not see it anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try to manually mount it using these steps but could not find it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1331
    :confused:

2. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to add the drive works when connected over USB 2.0, just doesnt show up anywhere when connected to airport extreme

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Is it bus-powered? The AE might not be supplying enough current.

4. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

No it has an external power source that plugs into it.

Also to add, i believe it is a NTFS drive, does that matter? It works while plugged directly into the MBP so i don't think it should but i have read that AE has problems with NTFS HDD's

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

NTSF does matter, you can read and copy stuff from the drive but you cannot copy anything to or modify anything in the drive, ideally it should formatted in mac os journaled, or fat 32 so you can access wit either mac or pc.

hmmm its wierd i have not personally hooked up a external hard drive to a router but it should show up as it always does under disks in the finder side bar... hmmm interesting

6. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah shows up in AirPort Utility but not in finder. :mad::mad:

7. snowblader13 macrumors newbie

The Airport extreme will not work with a drive formatted with NTFS, only Fat 32 and the Mac OS Extended Formats

8. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thank you for your reply. How would i go about reformatting for use with my AE?

Just plug it in and go to disk utility?

9. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

(((((WARNING YOU WILL LOSE YOUR Information on the HD after you reformat, so back up the information you want)))))

Disk utility on your mac,click on drive in menu, erase tab,format either choice unless you have different os aka windows, name it, click on the erase button at the bottom, sit and wait till it reformats and erases(quick depending on how big the drive is), eject drive and tada all ready.

10. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

By either choice you mean HFS+ if I have Windows and OSX or HFS + Journalling if I only want to access it with Macs?

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Format the drive as HFS+ journaled. Windows computers will access the drive with samba so the format doesn't matter.

12. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have macs so it doesn't make a big difference but i thought I heard windows has issues with the journaling...

Did i hear wrong? or is there more to the story?

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes, you heard wrong. Just format it and use it already! :p

14. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do! Ty