Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerpara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Saitama, Japan
Hi Everyone. I've had this problem for a few months now. Everytime I connect my external firewire HD, iPhoto thinks it's a camera and boots up. Usually I force quit it, but I'm worried that if I force quit too many times, I may lose my photos. Is there any way to change the settings on iPhoto so that it doesn't load when a 'camera' is inserted?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
It's probably because you have a DCIM folder on the external drive which iPhoto sees and tries to import from. There are two options - depending on whether you want iPhoto to really spot cameras the rest of the time.

If so, then you need to bury your DCIM folder deeper down the file structure on the external drive which should work.

If not, then open up Image Capture and in its Preferences, tell it what to do when it detects a camera (ie change it to nothing). You'll still be able to import things from a camera to iPhoto but it won't be automatic, you'll have to manually set it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.