External HD and Browser Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tengu, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tengu macrumors newbie

Ok, here are my dilemmas....

1. I have a Western Digital M Model XHD that I've been using for 4 years. It has been a workhorse and champ. Unfortunately, I have suffered a string of power outages in my region over the last 4 months due to crazy weather. As such, my external hard drive started acting funny, presumably due to not being able to eject the drive prior to the sporadic outages. Over the last few months it has been taking longer and longer to read upon boot-up. Please note that I have 4 other external hard drives on my computer with zero issues under the same circumstances.

Now, all of a sudden my WD XHD is not readable on my Desktop. Sure, I'm an idiot for not backing up the contents when I began having issues with the drive. But being overwhelmed with a ton of work and crazy deadlines, I neglected to find the time for back-up. That being said, critical client files are on this drive and I can't afford to lose them. I could care less about the XHD itself once the contents are copied. Lesson learned.

The only hope that I have for recovery is the XHD appears in my Disk Utility and System Profiler. However, I do not have the available option of verifying or repairing the disk. That being said, I am still worried as Disk Utility is reading 0 Bytes on the drive and a now Unformatted partition map scheme.

I have tried plugging the XHD into a Windows 7 PC to see if I could get a read, but had the same issue. No Desktop or My Computer icon, just that it's there, plugged in, and "running normally".

I don't hear any clicks of death nor see any abnormal functions, other than the issue described above. I have tried Remo Recover, but can not recover any volumes as it is reported as having zero.

I have submitted a screen shot of my desktop so my utilities can be seen for further info. Any help and options would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Along with this issue, I noticed all my web browsers beginning to act funny. First, Safari became so slow that it became unusable. So I switched to Chrome, which I ended up liking much better. Then suddenly, at the same time that my external hard drive crashed, Chrome began to run extremely slow and cause a patterned clicking on my internal master Mac HD during use. I tried all the typical tricks with every browser. Clearing cache, history, disable plug-ins and extensions, doing re-boots, etc. in case they were building up and using up too much CPU. Under diagnostics it shows my browsers barely using any CPU. The only browser working at this point is Firefox. Safari still makes my HD go wild and run slow. Chrome still crawls with the patterned clicking.

I'm at a loss on both issues after reading multiple boards and posts at nauseum over the past month. Still no fixes for either problem. I hand myself over to those who probably know way more than I.

Thank you to those who take a crack at this!

2. Tengu thread starter macrumors newbie

?

Over 700 views and no ideas? Am I missing something? :confused:

3. ColdCase, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Your drive started to report errors or started to be slow to respond to the OS and the OS got bogged down which affected the other apps. If you looked at the console logs at the time you probably would have seen tons of errors.

Your only hope is to try some of the disk repair or recovery utility. There are several threads here and many on line guides. Sometimes putting the drive in the freezer overnight gets it working enough to recover data.

There are also commercial recovery houses.

The drive likely destroyed its heads, however. The drive interface is hardware and the report you see is stored by most in firmware/flash and doesn't need the rotational part to be working to see them. The partition, format, directory, and size types of things are stored mostly on the rotational part and requires a spinning disk and working heads.

Good luck.