External HD and Home Network

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mbopy22, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hi

Ok, here is my deal.

My 40GB iBook has ran out of HardDrive space, I guess I still have something around 500mb. So what I want to do is get an external portable HD to through all the stuff from my iBook there, that way I'll be able to run my computer smoothly.:D

These are the questions;:confused:
    a- a recomendable good external HD, portable!!!
    b- is there a way to plug/connect that HD to my D-Link wireless router and let it sit with him, in a way that I can access my data on that HD via wi fi in my house???? that way I won't have to carry around the house, the HD with the iBook.

THANKS!!!!

PS, I have 2 routers; one wifi, the other cable, both D-link, none of them has USB ports. :eek:

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

You could get a NAS device attatched via Ethernet if your router has a spare LAN port.

3. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Great, thank,s indeed both of my router have spare Lan ports.:D:p

Oh BTW, what is a NAS device?? :confused::confused::confused:

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

NAS = Network Attached Storage

Think of an external hard drive with an ethernet port, instead of USB or Firewire.

Because it is on the network, it is available to all of the machines on the network, not just a single computer.

5. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Got it, any suggestions??? anyone has one??
    I'm looking into something around 120 to 160GB.

I'll be able to acces all my music, files, docs, movies, etc.???

6. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

External Hd

Hi
    Sorry, I'm sure someone already asked for this, but I've not been able to find the answer I need.

Situation; my iBook G4 has ran out of HD spce (40GB) and I need to back up everything, for mainly 2 reasons;
    a- I'm planning on buying a MacBook next week
    b- I need to empty my iBook before saling it.

I've been looking everywhere for an external HD, but all I read are bad reviews.

I need something portable, so I don't want to hang around with cables, AC cords, etc. I need something to plug and use, another thing, I don't want to waste 2USB ports, 1 shall be enough.

I've seen WD, SmartDisk, Lacie and other brands, but all of them have bad reviews from Mac users.

Can somebody pleaaaase tell me what to buy, and what has work for any of you.

I'm looking to get something between 160 or 250GB.

Another question, what will be the easiest way to transfer all my data from my iBook to my MacBook??

THANKS

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I have a Western Digital Passport with 320GB. They are available with 160 and 250GB as well. I am completely happy with it. It's small (thus portable), needs only one USB port and it's simply beautiful. You can use it for file transfer.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Are you looking for a 3.5" enclosure, or a 2.5". I'm assuming since you said portable, you're looking for 2.5", in which case I second the passport recommendation. They're reliable, sleek, and are USB-powered which is a huge plus.

9. 119576 Guest

I concur.

A passport is definitely your best choice given your requirements.

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I too like the Passport. They feel very solid, and WD is a good name.

11. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I know this doesn't help the OP with his G4, but the handiest external I've come up with has been Lacie's rugged disk with triple interface USB2/FW400/800 available in 200+ GB. Man that 800 is fast and the thing is so portable. Perfect for targetting booting, etc.