External HD and IPod Question...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Poseidon, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

For some strange reason, I've been asked by my girlfriend to reload a large amount of music on her brother's I-Pod. Strange because I've used an I-Pod once in my life and have practically no experience with 'em.

That being said, I installed the software on my PC (Hoping to switch soon!) and tried to muck my way through the procedure. The problem is that all my music is on an external, portable HD AND I was specifically told not to sync the I-Pod with my library.

Total moron that I am, I couldn't get things to work. I couldn't figure out how to get I-Tunes to read/work with my library from the portable HD and didn't have any idea how to move what I needed to on the I-Pod itself.

The directions for the I-Pod were not helpful and I haven't had much luck finding any other directions. I get the impression this would be much easier on a Mac and if the music were on the internal drive, but unfortunately I'm not there yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - or at least a friendly nudge in the right direction. Thank you.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Don't use a PC, so bear with me. Make sure the external is connected to the computer, and that the computer sees it. Somewhere in iTunes there should be a way to select the external as your preferred library. On a mac, you would hold down the option key when starting iTunes to select the library. Once the external library is selected, and the iPod is connected, it should sync to the external library. With the iPod connected, you should see a screen with options. On the first page, you should see an option to manually sync or automatically sync. I'd choose the automatic.

At any rate, when all is finished, remember to de-select the external as the library to use.

Sorry I can't be more specific about PC's, but maybe there is something in there that will help you -- or at least set you on track.

Good luck!

3. xxstatic macrumors member

He's right except if you do not want to have your preferences for managing your itunes library set to copy songs to itunes, you basically click on file and select "add folder to library".
    Hopefully you can navigate to the folder you have the music in on your ext. hd.