Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Hi I bought a 320GB Harddrive external from western Digital, I plugged it to my MBP and I ran Time machine and it backed up my Drive about 20GB but then when I take the drive to my vista computer to save some files there and transfer them to the mac vista doesn't see the drive at all.

what can I do so that I can use the drive with time machine and Vista?
Or would I have to buy another drive to share files between?

Thanks in advance.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I believe that you should of partitioned the drive in 2.

With my WD 320gb external I did 275gb in NFTS and 25gb in FAT 32.

I use the 25gb to back up files from Windows. I have still yet to figure out how to see it in Fusion though.

So I have 2 partitions on my desktop from the WD. One Time Machine and one Other Backups.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I believe that you should of partitioned the drive in 2.

With my WD 320gb external I did 275gb in NFTS and 25gb in FAT 32.

I use the 25gb to back up files from Windows. I have still yet to figure out how to see it in Fusion though.

So I have 2 partitions on my desktop from the WD. One Time Machine and one Other Backups.

thanks for your help, did you do the partitioning with your mac? or windows, I am not sure how to do it with the mac, so if I reformat the drive and then partition it I should be fine?

can I use disk utility from mac to create a partition?

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
thanks for your help, did you do the partitioning with your mac? or windows, I am not sure how to do it with the mac, so if I reformat the drive and then partition it I should be fine?

can I use disk utility from mac to create a partition?

Yup, I did it all from the MacBook.

Very easy to do, disk utility is your friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.