External HD and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sionharris, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sionharris macrumors regular

I will be looking to buy a Lacie D2 external HD when I upgrade to Leopard. Will Time Machine take over the whole drive or will I be able to partition it so I can use it to store media as well? Also, will we be able to back up both of our MacBooks to the same drive?

I have very little understanding of these things so would appreciate a simple response!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can partition the drive and use different partitions for each Mac. Once partitioned, TM will eventually use the entire partition over time.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You can partition the drive and TM will only use that partition. Regardless of the space you allocate though TM will eventually use it all up.

Edit: Beatn to it, ya quick bastard... :p ;) :D

4. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

Two questions:

1. Will I be able to create three partitions - one for each Mac and one for general storage?

2. Once partitioned, would it require a complete re-format to change the size of the partitions?

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't see any reason why not. FWIW though, I believe TM will create a separate directory for each machine it backs up, so technically you could store multiple distinct TM backups on the same partition without requiring a separate one for each machine.

In Leopard I believe you can use Disk Utility to change partition sizes on the fly. Not sure about the specifics or limitations however as I have never needed to do this myself.

6. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

7. 4mula1 macrumors newbie

Time Capsule

If you are spending the money why not get time capsule? you know that will work. Plus its wireless so you dont need to disconnect and switch between your macbooks.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, this would also be an acceptable solution. Info can be found here if you are not familiar with the solution.