Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glennsan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
All,

I have a 3GB HD plugged into my TC via USB for a secondary TM backup device. I also use it to store my DVD rips to watch wirelessly on my TV in another room that has a media center attached. I just deleted 3 movies that total about 2 GB from the HD but the 2 GB has not come back as it still has the same amount of used space as before. I have tried all I can think of but am not able to get any space back when I delete it. Any ideas?

Glennsan

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
All,

I have a 3GB HD plugged into my TC via USB for a secondary TM backup device. I also use it to store my DVD rips to watch wirelessly on my TV in another room that has a media center attached. I just deleted 3 movies that total about 2 GB from the HD but the 2 GB has not come back as it still has the same amount of used space as before. I have tried all I can think of but am not able to get any space back when I delete it. Any ideas?

Glennsan

Did you empty the trash? When you delete a file the OS just moves it to a hidden .Trash folder so the space still shows as used.

glennsan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
External HD Attached to TC File Deletion

Did you empty the trash? When you delete a file the OS just moves it to a hidden .Trash folder so the space still shows as used.

They don't go into the trash since they are on a network drive.

Glennsan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.