External HD Causes iMac to Crash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dayve, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Dayve macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm using an iMac on Tiger 10.4.11, 1.25 Ghz PPC G4 with 768 Mb of memory.
    When copying files from my Iomega 500 Gb external drive, the copying process hangs. Sometimes it will copy okay, but more often than not, the progress bar will just hang there. When relaunching Finder, the Finder quits, and does not return.

In some cases I can continue to use other apps, but can't access anything with the Finder since it's not running(?).

The only way to progress is to pull the plug!

I also found that sometimes when just trying to access a file on the external drive, the same problem occurs. I'm assuming it's the external that's causing the problem as it doesn't happen otherwise.

I've seen other threads with similar titles, but nothing that particularly relates to this issue. If anyone has a heads up on how to deal with this problem I'd be grateful.:)

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Did you try to run "verify disk" in disk utility?

Don't mean to scare you, but maybe the HDD has problems, maybe it's even failing on you.

I'm not sure what else would be causing it.. are you sure it's not another program crashing finder? Transmission.app was terrible for crashing OS X until their recent update to fix the bug

3. Dayve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Verify and Repair. Some minor repair to permissions was necessary and successful, but still the problem persists.

I wouldn't be too surprised if you're right. I've had the computer for a few years now. Fortunately I do keep everything of importance on the External HD.