External HD compatability question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamminph88, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jamminph88 macrumors member

Im looking at a bunch of different 500GB hard drives to let me run full, or close to full time machine on my MBP. This one is by far the best price for a real brand ive seen thus far.

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21168246

I just wasnt sure if it will work on my mac. Will i need to reformat it? and if i do, does that void the warranty?

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

This will work but you'll probably want to refrain from installing the custom software that launches the included Retrospect when you press the "OneTouch" button. Or, if you're interested in using the drive with Time Machine, you could install the OneTouch software, leaving Retrospect deselected, and configure the button on the front of the drive to launch Time Machine when you press it. That's pretty lame, though considering Time Machine is in the Dock anyway and there's pretty limited usefulness in pressing a button on a hard drive just to launch Time Machine...

All in all, if you just want to use it as a drive and not use the OneTouch stuff, you can certainly do that.

3. jamminph88 thread starter macrumors member

I've been reading some pretty awful reviews about these drives. Will I have any of those problems if i'm strictly using it for time machine backups occasionally?