External HD Connected to Monitor

Lone Wolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I wanted to know if I am able to hook an external HD to a usb port on a monitor and use that for Time Machine backups. Im trying to figure out a way to not have to plug/unplug the hd to my MB. Thanks

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I wanted to know if I am able to hook an external HD to a usb port on a monitor and use that for Time Machine backups. Im trying to figure out a way to not have to plug/unplug the hd to my MB. Thanks
You'll plug and unplug the USB port from the monitor into your MBP, you'd be back to square one.

A NAS would probably be your best bet.

Lone Wolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the help. This type of setup is new to me. I had a 27" Imac for the last 10 years and am now moving to the MBP. I want a 24" 4K monitor but I'm looking for a one cable solution for charging..connecting to the monitor and having my backup drive connected. Looks like a USB-C hub is the best option.

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
There are only two 24” 4K displays on the market (a dell and an lg) neither of which support USB-c natively. But a USB (or TB3) “dock” would do what you want.

For reference I have 2 of those same dells, and they work pretty well.

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I believe that’s due to how USB-c does alternate mode (which is likely related to the bandwidth required for a 4K DisplayPort signal). Remember that USB-c charge cables also limit data speeds to 2.0 spec.

For 3.0+ speeds I believe you’ll need either a TB3 display or a display with a separate USB connection to the host (or hub/dock)