External HD failure and data recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andreas Adams, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Andreas Adams macrumors newbie

So i have been searching the Internet and forums to find someone with the same issue as myself. there are many that are close to it. though nothing that has helped me in this situation. so here i go posting a thread.

My USB self powered HD was plugged in with data being accessed (Movie) when the cord got knocked out and unplugged the HD. This has happened before, though not when i was accessing the HD... usually this is fine.

((i dont care about the movies, though this drive contains musical writing software and hours of work in production (i am a producer) ))

Any way, i herd the HD struggle three time as if the needle jumped from the physical disk, it kinda sounded like it died. though when i plug it in now it sounds fine, the disk spins and receives power.
    although the disk no longer mounts. though when i look it up under the Disk Utility it sees the drive and the fancy name i gave it (though it cant mount the drive) when I run verify and repair it gives me this message which is probably pretty standard:
    --------------
    Verrify and Repair "NCC-1701 D"
    **/dev/disk2s1
    **Phase 1 - Read FAT
    Unable to read FAT (input/output error)
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 Non HFS volume checked
    1 Volume could not be repaired because of an error.

------------

Okay... boom nerdy music producer get stumped. got any tips?
    i have been trying to download some recovery software, though it more challenging to find them with out paying big dollar bills.

though if it necessary....

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The noises you describe don't sound encouraging, but regardless, I don't think Disk Utility can do anything for FAT-formatted drives. You might want to try a Windows utility instead.