External HD file transfer issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrPineapples, Feb 2, 2012.

1. MrPineapples, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

MrPineapples macrumors member

MrPineapples

I'm having an issue with my external HD (500gb Western Digital My Passport)

I was having trouble with it not mounting on my Macbook Pro, I've had to mount it through disk utility, when running verify & repair permissions it told me it couldn't repair & to back up data & reformat.

Even though all the data seemed to be there, that's what I've done transferring all the data onto the HD on my work Mac & reformatted the drive as MS-DOS (FAT32) (as I want it to be accessible by my xbox).

Anyway now I've got to transfer the data back onto it, that's all gone fine apart from my iTunes library. When I try & copy it over It starts to copy then after a small amount of data has copied it comes up with an error message

"The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “Music” already exists."

Any ideas? if I go into the music folder & try to copy the albums in batches I get a similar message.

If anyone knows what this might be & how to solve it I'd be really grateful, my iTunes library is stuck on my work machine at the moment :(

2. Mac-Michael, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

Mac-Michael macrumors regular

A quick search turned up this:

Link

3. MrPineapples thread starter macrumors member

MrPineapples

Cheers for your help... it looks like that'll solve the problem.

4. MrPineapples thread starter macrumors member

MrPineapples

That worked perfectly, thank you.

There was 1 offending file amongst 125gb of music... thankfully it was by 2 many DJ's so one of the first one's I came across.