External HD for Itunes and pictures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shelovesMAC, Aug 29, 2010.

1. shelovesMAC macrumors member

What external hard drive do you use and recommend for Itunes music files and other media?

Western Digital My Book or My Passport? There are so many versions of each and I don't know which one would be best. Is one better than the other? I read where some people use two different drives, one for important documents and one for media files.

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, it depends if you want to take it with you places easily, or if the amount of storage is more important. If you don't need the portability, I would definitely go with the My Book, which is the desktop type of drive. If your computer has firewire 800, I would also look into getting a version that uses that as well. If you need the portability, then go with the passport drive in the size you need.

3. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

I have two external hard drives. One is a 150ish GB Western Digital My Passport from 2 years ago for portable use. The other is a 1 TB Western Digital Elements for non portable use that I just recently purchased with my Macbook.

The My Passport is still going strong for me so I'd recommend it off that alone. The Elements is also a very sleek, cheap ($70 for a 1 TB), and quiet drive.