External HD for itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GilesM, Jan 24, 2010.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

My iTunes is growing fast so I moved the library location to my FORMAC HD which is connected to my imac via FW800.
    However, when I was importing some CD's I noticed that iTunes had reverted to using the internal HD location.

I can only assume this is because at some stage the disc had gone to a low power state and iTunes could no longer find the library and reverted to the original location.

If I purchase a 1TB USB drive will this work better and allow iTunes to remain connected to the library as found on this drive?

UPDATE : it seems I did not follow the process correctly. I did not realise that I have to tell iTunes at boot where the library is.
    Reading the support pages it seems I have to hold down the option key when booting iTunes and navigate to the path of the new library.
    Gonna try again.....

another edit : Itunes now migrated on FORMAC drive (FW 8000) and backed un a external USB drive.
    Great... now got loads of GB's back on internal hard drive!

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

My library is on an external drive connected via FW800, and I have never had a problem. As long as the correct path is entered in iTunes' preferences, it should work. My HDD does go to sleep, but it wakes up in a few seconds.

3. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

hello,

right, I managed to get it working now, thanks.
    It's a little slower than using the internal HD, but that's cool.