External HD for MP Leopard backup Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by snagitseven, Feb 2, 2008.

1. snagitseven macrumors member

On my old G4 Mac, my BU strategy on 10.4 was to periodically use Superduper to clone my inernal HDs on to a FW800 external drive in order to have a "fast", convenient bootable backup. This was for security as well as in case something went wrong on my internal boot or I wanted to try something on the internal that could quickly be reversed by cloning back to my internals (this has "saved my bacon" many times).

Now that I'm getting a new MP and while planning to use a separate internal 1TB for Time Machine, I would still like to also use an normally disconnected external FW or Sata HD for the additional security, convenience and piece of mind of a safety boot from which to recover.

My questions are these:

1. Can my FW800 HD be a Leopard boot drive on a MP w/Leopard once properly formatted and cloned from the new int MP HD?

2. Are there any inexpensive single SATA external enclosures available that can act as a Leopard SATA boot drive (as an alternative to FW)?

3. If yes to #2, are there any SATA PCI-e cards available yet that can host an external SATA as a Leopard boot drive?

4. (sort of an ancillary question) Can I use my old FW800 Ext HD with Tiger cloned from my G4 and mount on the MP as a source for Migration Assistant upon MP initial setup? (Based on other posts, I would probably not use Migration Assistant, but as others have previously suggested, start clean w/Leopard and copy over files, i.e. mail folder, music, browser files, etc, once I set up new users - apparently more work but less chance for headaches).

I've searched but apparently not too well as I can't seem to find definitive answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. snagitseven thread starter macrumors member