External HD for my 2012 MB Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christopher11, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

Hi there. Since i acquired my 2012 MB Pro, with 1 TB hard drive, the data and projects I’m accumulating have become more and more valuable to me. I have several Seagate Free Agent drives, but they’re only 500 GB or 300 GB. I backup stuff of course, but want to get something where I can just hook up and use Time Machine or SuperDuper, and not have to think about it or move data around.

I was thinking of this 3TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive. http://www.staples.com/Seagate-Back...7&gclid=CPbeqNeGvccCFdKPHwodfOMMvA&kpid=44067

I thought i would partition it into 3, and use one for frequent backup via SuperDuper. I hoped to get any thoughts from you guys about this drive. If there’s another one you like more please feel free to recommend. Thank you!

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm sure there are many here with personal preferences for drives. I am not that particular and have used several different manufacturers over the years and have not found any particularly better or worse than any other. Recently my external drive purchases have been for portable drives--2TB--Seagate or Western Digital--and I've been happy with either.

3. rapicell macrumors regular

I've been using a WD My Passport Ultra lately. Works pretty well so far and it's a 2TB model, but I've already used 1TB of storage..oops

4. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So I have run through a lot of hard drives, Tons. It really depends on if you need it to be portable or not. I personally like Western Digital for external drives more than Seagate. I have had issues with both Western Digital and Seagate before but Western Digital for external seemed to be a better maid product IMO.

For desktop storage I would go with a MyBook. If you want Desktop and Cloud storage so you can access full speed at home and access it everywhere else depending over WiFi speeds the Western Digital My Cloud is a good way to go.

If your trying to go fully portable The MyPassport is a good option, its USB powered had runs at decent speeds and has options up to 2TB. If you want amazing speeds Samsung makes a SSD external that is also USB powered but it much more expensive and only has options up to 1TB.

5. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Thank you guys! Really appreciate it sincerely. So it sounds like Western Digital appeals to you generally more than Seagate. I'm looking at the My Passport drive, sounds nice. I wonder if the WD Cloud feature comes with the purchase, or if you buy that separately. It looks like Seagate has a deal like that, when you purchase Backup Plus Slim. 2 years free 200 GB. http://www.seagate.com/products/laptop-mobile-storage/laptop-external-drives/backup-plus-slim/ That's not a lot of data though I understand.

I just like the idea of a drive I can connect to easily, usb powered, and backup regularly. Relief, no worries. ; ) Thanks again.