External HD for my iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac1212, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Mac1212 macrumors member

2. eldudorinio macrumors member

eldudorinio

Like most external drives that say compatible with Mac OSX, they are usually in the FAT32 file system, which is compatible with most operating systems (if not all).
    The only disadvantage is that you cannot write individual files larger than 4GB on FAT32 hard disks. So if you intend to have large files on it, you will have to change the file system with Disk Utility.

Apart from that, the hard drive is great! Has all connectivity options and huge amount of space.

3. DigitalVision macrumors newbie

I have just recently ordered one of these drives to replace a failed Lacie D2.

The WD MyBooks are good with Macs and you should find that model already formatted to HFS+ (Your Mac's file system).

Just plug it in and away you go.

There is one thing you need to know. These models of MyBook have a virtual CD drive which auto mounts every time you turn your Mac on (it can be unmounted). The virtual CD contains WD software for the MyBook, but you don't need to install any of it for the HDD to work. The only downside of not installing the software is that the LCD panel on the MyBook will not work. IMHO this is not at issue.

4. Mac1212 thread starter macrumors member

ok, thanks.. i can format it myself.