Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

External HD for PC, partition for Time Machine.

Dave in Wales

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
Wales
I have an external HD that I back up all the stuff from my PC.

Can it be partitioned so that I can use MAC Time Machine from my MB Pro.

If so, how would I do it please.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes you can, but you will need to remove the PC data from the drive to make the new partitions. So remove the data first then go to the partitions tab in Disk Utility and set it up as two partitions. Make the top partition in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format then the bottom one in FAT32 or ExFAT so the PC can write to the drive.

Then just point the Time Machine backup to the top partition.

Comment

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
If you're only concerned with using the drive on the Mac you can just erase the drive as OS X Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Comment

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I would do what @Weaselboy suggested but I'd leave the non-Mac space unformatted and format that blank space as NTFS once back on the PC if you intend to use that for read/write ONLY from the PC.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would do what @Weaselboy suggested but I'd leave the non-Mac space unformatted and format that blank space as NTFS once back on the PC if you intend to use that for read/write ONLY from the PC.
Yeah... if you don't need to write to that partition from the Mac, NTFS is a better option.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.