external HD for video storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 1930artdeco, May 16, 2012.

1. 1930artdeco macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am working on a project at the museum that I volunteer at recording veterans stories. The camera is an old Canon apparently SD type video camera. The computer is an older 'blueberry' power mac that has limited Hard drive space (1.9 GB) for my video needs.

I am going to buy an external hard drive of probably 500 GB as all I am doing is recording and then burning to a disk. I need about an hours worth of space and that is all. Keep in mind that I am NOT gifted with computer tech savy genes.

My questions are these:

1) using imovie, will the computer automatically record to the ext. hard drive? Or do I have to set it up to do this? If this fairly easy to do?

2) I was planning on buying a reconditioned WD My Passport Studio ext. HD. Is this a good HD for what I am planning on using it for?

Mike

2. Nemic macrumors member

1. You will need to format the hard drive to Mac Format e.g MAC OSX Extended, if you don't do this then iMovie will not recognise the drive.

When you import each movie, iMovie will ask you which drive you want to use - internal or external. There will be a drop down menu that allows you to specify what drive. It will also show you how much space is available for use on each drive.

2. I am not sure if your suggested drive is of the portable (small) or desktop (larger) variety. Usually the desktop versions use full size hard drives, whereas the portable ones use "laptop" sized drives. If you are not going to be needing a lot of space then probably either type would suit you. The desktop ones are likely to have more performance, but they also require an external mains supply; the portable versions have the advantage of being able to run off a USB port with no extra power required.

If you were going to be working with a large amount of video then I would advise a desktop version, however if this is not the case then the portable type should be fine.

I am assuming that your Mac has USB 2.0? If it only has Firewire connections then make sure you buy a Firewire interface drive.

Some drives come with both USB 2.0 and Firewire, but I am not sure about the one you mentioned.

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

The My Book Studio drives usually have Firewire800 ports as well as USB, so yes it is a good drive to purchase. In fact they are the only drives I tend to purchase for my on use - also using iMovie for video editing etc. I connect via FireWire800 and it works perfect, nice and speedy.

The My Passport Studio drives are also excellent - although they cost a little more, they are much more portable and do not need an external power supply.

Check out my videos (link in sig) for video reviews on them ;)

4. 1930artdeco thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Nemic,

How do I format the ext. HD for Mac OSX? I plugged it in and the computer recognized it right away. Also, imovie does not allow me to download straight to the ext. HD, it does not give me a drop down menu.

Mike

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli