External HD for watching video?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChePibe, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ChePibe macrumors member

All,

I am getting ready for a big trip overseas, and I simply won't have the room in my luggage for my DVDs. I'd like to rip my DVDs (yes, I actually do buy seasons of TV shows legally... and yes, I realize that ripping them is quite questionable) and store them on an external HD for the trip. I would prefer to use a Western Digital Passport, which uses a 5400 RPM laptop drive, so I don't have to worry about converting voltage on yet another item.

Should I be able to watch my videos without problems over a USB 2 connection with a drive like this? Will this cause great wear on the drive?

(FYI - Computer is a MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz)

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I've backed up DVD's to my external and watched them perfectly fine. One thing you may need to watch out for is if you're running something drive intensive such as a virtual machine on the external as it can conflict with the video you are watching and freeze it up.
    I used VLC to watch the videos incidentally, Im not sure if QuickTime will allow it off of an external, just a side-note ;)

3. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I've used external (USB) drives to store my TV Progs and Movies on for a while. Generally use VLC. Just changed to a WD My Book thing (NAS drive) running on my LAN.

Had to change the VLC settings such that it cached 5 seconds before it played any video, otherwise I found it stuttered. This is only on the NAS drive mind you, USB I've had no issues with at all.