External Hd Formats that work with both MBP & LINUX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by user1524, Nov 7, 2007.

1. user1524 macrumors member

hey guys need some help :p

i had some data on my external drive and had to copy all the data on a linux machine(open suse) and then format my drive to make it bootable

now im done with using it at as bootable drive , need to get all the data back from the linux machine to this drive

heres the problem it lets me copy to the linux machine but wont let me write back to the ext. drive from the linux (all the data is only on that machine and its not mine so need to fix this before its too late :()

how do i format this drive so it lets me copy/write/delete etc with both mac and linux ?

thanks
    tiku

2. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

For the Mac end it would be Fat32...idk what works with linux. But I'm guessing something like that!

3. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

fat32 works, as long as you don't use winblows to format the disk.
    ext2 is supposebly the better choice though.

4. user1524 thread starter macrumors member

how do i format it to fat32 on mac ?
    when i try to format it i just get the usual options
    mac os extended
    mac os extended journaled
    and the other two

:confused:

if i format it to fat32 via xp it wont work ?

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

6. antibact1 macrumors 6502

hfsplus works, just make sure the kernel module is compiled in. I access my Mac formatted iPod on both Linux and OS X.

7. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

you can do that as long as your harddisk (or the fat-partition you want) is no bigger than 32gb - winblows 2k/xp/vista are sabotaged to not format bigger partitions than this (to force u to use their proprietary filesys)....I think fat32 can hold 8tb when formatted in another os.

besides, fat32 does not support files bigger than 4gb, and aperture is said to have issues with it, too.

check this out for formatting in osx

never tried this myself though...I would rather look into ext2 or something...
    can't be more complicated than this :eek:

8. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

that's what everybody says - still I would try give it a try...

9. p33 macrumors member

If it appears to be such a problem (the reason of which I merely fail to undersand), why don't you smb/nfs-share your data on the linux machine with your mac, format your external HD on your Mac as you like (hfs+ presumably) and just copy all the data over the network.

10. antibact1 macrumors 6502

As I said previously, hfsplus works on Linux. Being that it's the default OS X filesystem, you are better off using that. Format your drive as per usual using disk utility, then make sure the hfsplus driver is in your linux kernel. You can mount it using

mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdb2 /mnt/mntpoint

Don't bother messing around with network shares, etc. The solution to this is easy.

11. user1524 thread starter macrumors member

no networking happening here
    will back up the data later when im back here these guys have got it backed up on their machines .. im out of time :(

thanks for the info and suggestions :D :)

12. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

ah sorry, a bit late now, but....

you can only pick 'ms-dos file system' in the format-pulldown menu when you first go to options and select the bottom partition scheme: master boot record...

:eek: