External HD grinding and squeaking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VaatiKaiba, Aug 24, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I have an external HD (old MacBook HD in enclosure), and I was using it on a PC earlier. The PC came up with a message in the bottom right saying something about a power surge to the HD, and that it couldn't be recognised. Since then, every time I plug the HD into a PC, it grinds and squeaks, and isn't recognised at all, yet when I plug it into my MacBook, everything works fine.

What does this mean? Is my enclosure faulty? Or has it now got a Windows allergy?

Thanks!

2. AgentDuk macrumors newbie

Help Reply

Ai!
    That's a tough one. What might have happened is that an actual power surge took place while plugged in. I would suggest looking through the Recent Files on the hard drive from the iMac. Then I would make sure that nothing (and no weird files) strange happened.
    That's all I can give you now, with at least the information that you gave. Sorry if this post isn't more helpful, but it is hard to help with such a thing!!

:apple: AgentDuk :apple:

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing on the HD seems to be gone / damaged, and nothing's been created, but it just refuses to work on PCs... And I can't seem to find a logical solution for it. It's bizarre...